GWR Castle Class 4073 ~ 7037
Price: £3475 inc. VAT | updated 29-05-2023 click image above
Click photos to enlarge
from £3,475.00 inc. VAT
GWR/BR Castle Class 4073 ~ 7037
Each customer will be contacted individually when their model is ready for shipping. The final invoices will be issued and arrangements made to ship by DHL.
For DCC functions scroll to the foot of the page.
keep checking our latest news page for updates
We will do the research to make sure you have the correct details right down to the tender numbers. Nameplates supplied to us by Severnmill plates.
PERIOD 1 LOCOMOTIVES. APPROXIMATE PERIOD COVERED:- 1930 - 1934. LOCO NUMBERS AVAILABLE:- 4073 - 5032 + 111 & EARLY STAR REBUILDS (100 A1~4037). LIVERY:- LINED GWR GREEN, "GREAT Twin sheilds WESTERN " (from 1927) BRANDING ON THE TENDER SIDES
PERIOD 2 LOCOMOTIVES. APPROXIMATE PERIOD COVERED:- 1934 - 1939/40. LOCO NUMBERS AVAILABLE:- 4073 - 5097 + 111 & EARLY STAR REBUILDS (100 A1~4037) + LATER STAR (ABBEY) REBUILDS LIVERY:- LINED GWR GREEN, WITH "SHIRT BUTTON" BRANDING ON THE TENDER SIDES.
PERIOD 3 LOCOMOTIVES. APPROXIMATE PERIOD COVERED:- 1939 - 1947/8 LOCO NUMBERS AVAILABLE:- ALL LOCOS (4073 ~ 7027) UP TO & INCLUDING 7027 LIVERY:- LINED GWR GREEN, WITH "G twin shield crest W" BRANDING ON THE TENDER SIDES
PERIOD 4 LOCOMOTIVES. APPROXIMATE PERIOD COVERED:- 1948/9 - 1956/7. LOCO NUMBERS AVAILABLE:- ALL LOCOS (4073 ~ 7037) LIVERY:- LINED BR GREEN, WITH BR EARLY EMBLEM ("CYCLING LION") ON THE TENDER SIDES
PERIOD 5 LOCOMOTIVES. APPROXIMATE PERIOD COVERED:- 1956/7 - 1965. LOCO NUMBERS AVAILABLE:- ALL LOCOS (4073 ~ 7037) LIVERY:- LINED BR GREEN, WITH LATER BR CREST ON THE TENDER SIDES
From Inception to the Twilight of Steam 4073 ~ 7037
The Lee Marsh Model Company is very proud to announce the introduction of a new precision RTR model that will not only gladden the hearts of Great Western enthusiasts but will also appeal to the collector who really appreciates a landmark in British steam development.
The Great Western Castle class has long been hailed as an icon of British engineering prowess. From its development and initial production in the early 1920s to the demise of steam traction in the 1960s, the Castles were the mainstay of the GWR and BR (W) locomotive fleet.
To most locomotive aficionados, the Castle class was the epitome of what the Great Western was all about, and for many years had no equal amongst the other railway companies, outclassing its contemporaries in performance, economy, and aesthetics.
Here at Lee Marsh Model Company, we are aiming to break new ground with the introduction of this stunning model.
Just like the prototype, the accuracy, detail, and quality of performance will have no equal, and we are confident that you will be delighted to own and operate what we envisage will be a new and existing advancement in ready to run locomotive production.
- Chimney Types: Original single high chimney, low chimney introduced 1936 which was spread throughout the class and the standard double chimney fitted to 66 members of the class from the late 1950s
- Tender Types: Two tenders. Collet 4000 gallon (with both frame types) and Hawksworth 4000 gallon
- Buffers: Tapered & Parallel Buffers
- Castles up 5012 had the coupling rod joint ahead of the centre crankpin
- Date/Period & Livery Options: 1- Initial "Great crest Western" & "Great twin shields Western", lined green livery 2- GWR "Roundel" type, lined green livery 3- Late "G crest W" lined green livery 4- Early "BRITISH RAILWAYS" (spelt out in shaded lettering) lined green livery 5- BR lined green livery with early emblem 6- BR lined green livery with late crest
- Frame & Inside Valve Types: These are FIXED options, as they related to particular series/batches of locos.
- Inside Valve Spindle Covers: Locos 4073 - 5012, No. 111 & the early Star rebuilds, had the "exposed" spindle. Locos 5013 - 7037 had the "elongated" spindle covers, similar to those fitted to the last ten Kings. Locos 4078, 4080, 7013 (ex 4082), 4087 - 4090, 4093 & 5001, were rebuilt with the later "elongated" spindle covers (specific dates unknown). For complete accuracy, you will require photographs of your chosen loco at your chosen date/time period.
- Boiler Types and Smokebox side Superheater Lubrication Covers
- Lubrication: Early plain or later Mechanical
- ATC Arrangements
- Fire iron tunnel
- Whistle shields
Thanks to John Edwards for help in the preparation of the above details.
Thanks also go to Bob Meanley, Malcolm Mitchell, Cliff Williams, Tony Reynalds, and Fred Lewis.
- Carefully researched and designed using over 100 original works drawings and the latest CAD design packages
- Hand made in brass with all construction carried out by our exclusive builder allowing the very best of quality control
- Baked cellulose painting for a hard wearing finish
- Fully detailed cab interior with brass and copper pipes. The cab fittings and pipes are not painted or plated
- High level of fine detail with variations covered
- Punched rivet detail made with CAD-designed jigs
- Fully enclosed Gearboxes designed specifically for the project paired with high-quality coreless motors
- Ball bearings and springing to all axles
- Full working inside motion
- Working reversing on the valve gear
- All brass fittings such as injectors are polished and varnished, rather than painted
- Inside frame detail
- Lamps and fire irons
- All models are fitted with DCC sound and can also be run on DC (no sound) by the simple use of a blanking plug
- Auto coupler for the loco to tender
- 6-foot minimum radius is required due to the high level of detail
- Scale 7 available
- Limited warranty to cover repairs as a result of normal usage, following our handling and running guidelines to the original owner.
- The DCC decoders are configured with default settings on delivery if you let us know the DCC address you wish we can make all the settings including the address default, so if you have a problem then change CV8 to 8 will reset it entirely to the Lee Marsh Model Co Settings
DCC Sound functions
F1 Sound on/off
F2 Long whistle stays on till F2
F3 Short whistle
F4 Buffer up
F5 Couple up
F8 Safety valves
F9 Guards whistle
F10 Carriage door slam
F11 Brake whistle long
F12 Brake whistle short
F14 Blowing off
F15 Wheel/sleeper groan
F16 Fade out sound
F17 Switching mode
F18 Acceleration on/off
Share this item: